Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Be All That You Can Be



Everyday, this little spirited child of mine inspires me to "be all that I can be." It simply amazes me how much energy she has. I often tell Keith that we are in so much trouble because she just turned one and has the energy of a 2 or 3 year old. This lil' outfit has an unexpected story. A story that leaves the very simple message that when you least expect it, your questions about life will be answered. Years ago, Keith and I went to a Halloween party dressed in full Army gear (courtesy of the Waco Goodwill Store). These "costumes" have been collecting dust in the closet since then. The other night around 3am, I woke up as I sometimes do and had trouble going back to sleep. My mind was jumping from one random subject to another. I managed to find me way to a thought regarding Halloween. What would we be? We have a child now! She has to be something, too! We have those Army uniforms...but, of course we have to have a theme, isn't that the law of parenting through Halloween?! Once I stopped sweating and my heart stopped having palpitations, I did fall asleep. And for days I kept this very serious and stressful decision to myself. Afterall, I didn't want to raise Keith's blood pressure, too. A few days later, Keith's parents came for a visit. I was handed a shopping bag filled with new clothes for Ava (Granna's a great shopper). On the very bottom was this sweatsuit. Granddaddy and Daddy had picked this out all by themselves weeks ago. As she smiled with embarrassment, Granna told me I could return it if I wanted to. It's not going anywhere. So, although we don't plan on attending a big Halloween bash this year, nor do we plan on loading up on candy that Ava can't have (and Mommy doesn't want)...my huge, life altering dilemma had been solved...when I least expected it. He's working up there on bigger things. I just know it.

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

Hey Em,
Jim and I were at Granna's house a few days before they came to see Ava and she showed me the clothes they bought for their favorite little girl. When she showed me the camo outfit, I thought....for Keith and Emily's baby girl....don't know about that.
However, I now see that higher purpose.
Aunt B

Alicia said...

That's pretty awesome! You guys will be cute. I remember those army costumes from a few years back. Actually "a few years" is more like 5 years. I think I have some pictures from that party; I'll have to scan them!